Friday, January 25, 2019

Lipstick Diaries, Round Three: Besame Tango Red and Glossier Cake


I have enough red lipstick to coat my entire body a million times over, but damn if I didn't finally buy Besame Tango Red in a snap during Black Friday 2018. While this product's description and swatch photos I'd seen made me think this wouldn't be my most flattering red, I still wanted it. And I can now confirm that yeah, other Besame reds are much better suited to my coloring, but this is still a gorgeous shade. Tango Red seems very similar to Carmine in the tube, but on my lips, it reads more pink and less orange, and it has a more muted quality to it. It's a relatively unique shade among my slew of reds. I agree with Besame: this would be truly stunning on people with olive undertones or a deeper skintone.

Oh, and yes, I bought a new tube of Glossier Cake to test out the Generation G lipstick's freaking third formulation in the last five years. I've gotta say, I agree with most of the reviews that have come in: the new formula builds better, but is more drying and accentuates the lines in my lips like woah. Just look at how parched my mouth looks in this photo, and I'd JUST applied the lipstick fifteen minutes before! I like the shade and the sheerness, but the new formula isn't comfortable in the slightest and definitely isn't worth the money.

6 comments:

  1. Cake looks so pretty, but with all the reviews on the new formula I think I'll have to pass on it. Still love both these shades on you, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really like the color of Cake, so I'm super-bummed that the new formula is so uncomfortable.

      Delete
  2. Gen G in Cake really does settle in lines as soon as it's applied, I had no idea this was even possible. I thought a nude color would be more forgiving than deeper shades, but it's not. No way I can ever make it work, especially because my lips are easily chapped. I can't believe the influencers who claimed this was so much better than the previous formulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me thinks Glossier needs to stop reformulating their original products and just work on creating new stuff.

      Delete
  3. Your lipstick diaries series is brillian. Content that allows you to edit your collection at the same time. I wish I could do this with my eyeshadows since I have so many similar shades but each one has its own nuances and the hoarder in me is not easily silenced.

    I just wonder though, how do you choose which lipsticks to compare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I just take a picture of each lipstick when I wear it; whichever two are photographed around the same date are put together in a post!

      Delete