Wednesday, January 24, 2018

FOTD: Rodin So Mod and Two Liquid Eyeliners


I've wanted to try the Rodin lipsticks for ages, partly because every color in the range speaks to me, but also because Linda Rodin strikes me as being incredibly lovely and interesting. I admit to being a sucker for the whole "cult of personality" thing when it comes to makeup--just look at how much Kevyn Aucoin I've bought, for example. $38 for something I've never even gotten to swatch, though? That's a little much, even for a lipstick lover like me. So when I noticed that somebody was getting rid of their Rodin So Mod lipstick for $10, I jumped at the chance to try it.

I'm sad to say that I'm not entirely impressed with this lipstick. For starters, the packaging--which looks great in très minimalist pictures--feels a tad cheap. It's clear plastic and very lightweight. I'm not a huge fan of the fragrance, either, which reminds me of a fruity floral perfume, though it's admittedly faint. As for the actual texture of the lipstick: it feels quite slick going on to the lips, almost like the lipstick is turning to liquid when it touches you, and it tends to slip around throughout the day. It's not awful, but I definitely prefer something that "grabs" my lips a bit more and won't move as much.

Still, So Mod is an extraordinarily pretty color. It's a very pale, 60s pink with no shimmer. Because it's so light, I like to add a bit of pencil around the edges of my mouth so that my lips don't entirely disappear.

Here's the full face of the day. You definitely want a bit more on the eyes with this one! As a side note, I've been adding a little bit of information about the extra skincare steps I'm doing to "prep" my skin; you'll have to let me know if you think that adds anything to the breakdown.


PREP: At night, I used Jordan Samuel Hydrate serum under moisturizer and ran a humidifier; in the morning, I splashed my face with cool water, patted dry, and applied some Belif True Cream Moisturizing Bomb, Paula's Choice Lip Scrub [D/C], and Aquaphor.

.

BASE: MAC Face & Body foundation in C1 + White; Tarte Shape Tape Concealer in Fair; YSL Touche Eclat in #2; Clinique Moisture Surge Spray

.

CHEEKS: Glossier Cloud Paints in Puff and Beam; Glossier Haloscope in Quartz

.

EYES: Too Faced Shadow Insurance; Colourpop Eyeshadows in Hear Me Out and Bel-Air; Physician's Formula Eye Booster liquid liner on one eye (because it died mid-makeup, hahaha, WHY); Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Eyelining Pen on the other eye; Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir mascara; Shu Uemura Hard Formula brow pencil in Seal Brown; Anastasia brow gel

.

LIPS: Rodin lipstick in So Mod; NYX lip pencil in Nude Pink

.


Lastly, here's a gratuitous picture of my fluffy girlfriend. Simmis got very sick this past weekend and had to be rushed to the vet, where I racked up a vet bill equivalent to a month's pay to discover that she had some digestive tract irritation. Still, figuring out that my precious girl doesn't have any sort of cancer, blockage, kidney ailments, or other illnesses was worth the price. I was told that she's overall so healthy, she'll likely live to be 25. She turns 19 this year.

13 comments:

  1. Simmis is gorgeous! She looks very majestic. Does she ever end up with a lipstick mark on her head when you kiss her? My Luna often has a colourful kiss mark on the top of her head that I have to wipe off because I can't help but kiss her hello when I get home from work, but I also don't want her to clean the lipstick off herself and ingest it haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty disciplined about not kissing Teh Floof when I am be-lipsticked. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, that colour is beautiful on you! That's the exact kind of shade that I wish I could pull off but can't. It's a shame that the formula isn't great, though. Your skin looks positively radiant, too - I'm guessing it's the Touche Eclat?

    Simmis is beautiful! One of my cats had a bunch of UTIs when he was younger, and we had to take him to the emergency vet on Easter one year - obviously, it was very pricey. We have him on special food now and he hasn't had an incident in something like 7 years. 25 is a great age for a cat! I hope my boys are that lucky. They turned 9 in the fall and they're still very young at heart, so I look forward to many more years with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm giving credit to the Jordan Samuel Hydrate serum (let's all pray it doesn't end up breaking me out) and the Glossier Haloscope on my cheeks. That highlighter really shines when it hits the light!

      Delete
  3. Amazing she's doing so well at that age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely has some arthritis, and I don't think her vision is what it used to be. But truly, that's not a lot for a cat her age.

      Delete
  4. Lovely cat! We also have an old lady cat, and she's very sweet and gentle, but also very blind, and has to be rushed to the vet very often (we're not sure how old she is, but they think around 16yo- she lived on the streets most of her life and was attacked by dogs a year ago, that's when we got her). Cats get very expensive with age!

    Also I love what you did with this lipstick- great Mod makeup, very 60s. That's definitely a look that I could never get tired of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness, the bill wasn't as bad as I expected it, and it was worth it to know she's still cancer free at this age. But yeah, I've spent more on her in the last few years than I spent for the first decade of her life. Such is pet ownership!

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way about the packaging of the Rodin lipsticks. I've swatched them at Catbird in Brooklyn, and I remember feeling a little incredulous at the price tag. $38 for THIS? I'd definitely pay $10 for one, though. I love the look you've created with So Mod (and I bet your mom likes that lipstick on you, too).

    And damn, your cat's longevity is amazing. You should be proud that you've kept her so healthy for so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha, yeah, she loves it. XD

      Delete
  6. Kitty picture, aaaah! What a gorgeous floofbeast!!! Such a regal lady. Glad to hear she is in good health despite giving you a scare.

    Oh, right, this is a beauty blog. You also look nice. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I haven't posted her here in a while! I keep mixing up what I post on Instagram.

      Delete
  7. Totally agree re. Glossier solution -- I'm super annoyed they didn't release the percentages. Did you know they responded to people asking about this by being like: "Oh, our chemists worked super hard so we don't want to tell people" which is SUCH BS, like if it was only percentages that went into a product I feel like everyone would just buy their own chemicals right? Idk maybe I'm being too cranky but it just is super annoying! >:(

    ReplyDelete