Thursday, August 9, 2018

Replacing My HG Powder


This smeared, rubbed bare, looks-like-my-cat-got-hold-of-it compact is actually the Dolce & Gabbana powder foundation I've loved for years. It's the softest, most natural, most finely-milled powder I've ever dusted over my dry skin; the shade 50 Ivory was perfect for me, and I could use the product sparingly as a setting powder or apply it a bit heavier in lieu of foundation without looking like a sheet of sandpaper. Unfortunately, Dolce & Gabbana hates my happiness and decided to discontinue the product when my back was turned. Even if it was still in production, I don't know how comfortable I'd feel repurchasing it now that I've discovered that they've done some shit.

So I'm on a quest for a new powder! There's no critical rush, since this compact will still last me a while. (I don't wear makeup every day, and even when I do wear makeup, I tend to skip powder in the cooler months.) But you see, I need to start a list of potential replacements nowbecause I am Hella picky. My short list:

  1. It must be pressed. I've tried loose powders, and while I like how some of them look, the mess and the inability to throw it in my purse for touch ups is a downer.
  2. It must be light coverage. Again, I like a powder that I can use lightly to set makeup or instead of foundation, ie, if I'm wearing sunscreen and concealer and just want a bit more evening out.
  3. It needs to be an NC5-15 shade that doesn't oxidize. Because I have dry, dehydrated skin, I use a lot of rich skincare. I've discovered that moisturizing ingredients can make powders turn a few shades darker within an hour. While I'd prefer something that leans lighter, I'll go for an NC15 shade if it can be sheered out.
  4. I shouldn't have to sell my kidney to afford it. $50+ was pushing it for this guy, but it was so damn perfect that I was willing to pay it. But frankly, I'd hate to pay more than $50 for a powder these days.
  5. It cannot emphasize dryness or look powdery. I know, I know: it's kind of absurd to insist that a powder not look like powder. But the D&G powder foundation always had the smoothest, most invisible look on my skin while still slightly mattifying and providing a hint of coverage. There HAS to be other powders that can do that for me.

The powder that seems like the best possible replacement is the Charlotte Tilbury Air Brush Finish Skin Perfecting Micro-Powder, which gets nothing but rave reviews, especially from fellow dry-skinned people. However, I'm told that there's not a lot of product in the pan (Nordstrom says it's 0.28oz, which is half the size of the D&G powder), and that what's in the pan is relatively loosely pressed. Pictures showing almost-empty compacts after a mere three months of use are enough to make anyone nervous.

Soooooooo...help? What are your favorite dry skin friendly pressed powders? 

11 comments:

  1. Covergirl Vitalist Healthy Elixir Powder is a surprisingly great powder from the drugstore.
    It's velvety, soft, creamy, buildable, and the coverage is light to medium. And it's made in Italy to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even seen that one yet! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember if you've tried the new formulation for the Bésame cashmere powders or not. If only the Becca Hydramist setting powder came in a pressed form...I'm oily af and I love the loose powder for setting my under eyes and face when I absolutely must wear foundation. Even on my skin, a lot of powders can look really dry and gross or just break down like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they changed the formula? I'll have to look in to it.

      Delete
  3. I really like the Charlotte Tilbury pressed powder but I find that during the winter time it can feel a bit dark on me, even with a very light hand...like its just a bit too pigmented. I would definitely try to swatch in person if you can prior to purchase since I am about somewhere around/in between NC10-15 range during the summer and NC 10 during winter (or I can send a photo on IG if I can get a good one-- sometimes its too subtle to actually show the color well). The formula really is lovely though. I find myself reaching for Hourglass Diffused Light as an all-over setting powder in the winter time quite often. Not sure if you have tried that one yet, but I would say dry skin friendly (though anything can look powdery when used with a heavy hand). In direct sunlight, sometimes it can look subtly reflective...I'm willing to forgive it for that for the nice blurring effect and fair yellow shade though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried the Diffused Light and Ethereal Light powders, and while I liked them, they didn't actually provide any coverage--they were completely sheer on me. I'd like something I can apply a bit heavier for a smidgen of coverage, but only a smidgen, if that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I'm using Cover FX Perfect Setting Powder. I'm oily, but I don't like stuff that just sucks out the moisture (I used the HD powder from Make Up For Ever for a while and it did that), and I think it's really nice- there's a pressed version and a loose version of it. It just removes the tackiness of foundation and makes my face more touchable. I have their blotting powder to use during the day for touch ups, but once again, I'm super oily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have such a great shade range for most of their base products; I'll have to look in to it.

      Delete
  5. I like the Kett Cosmetics powder foundation. I use a very thin layer of it.

    ReplyDelete