Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A New Slew o' Foundation and Concealer Swatches

I've managed to gather up a decent number of light and dark foundation swatches, so it's time for another slew! I swatched the lightest shades on the cards up against a "swatch standard," NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia. I also wanted to swatch the darkest shades on the cards, since it can be hard to find comparison swatches for deeper skintones.

The top image is in natural light and the bottom image is with flash. You can click on the images to expand them. Please keep in mind that, because I'm quite fair and have some cool yellow undertones, a lot of these swatches will look very stark or orange against my skin. My hope is that you'll be able to compare the colors to each other and potentially find a match.


From left to right:


From left to right:

Yet again, let me stress how frustrating it is that darker skin tones are not well represented in the beauty world. I figured, when I swatched most of these products, that these shades were in no way the absolute darkest the range had to offer. (I knew there were darker shades for the Lancome Teint Idole Ultra.) I mean, look at this! That's the second darkest shade in the Smashbox foundation? What? And am I going crazy, or do some of the undertones in these shades look quite extreme? Koh Gen Do 303 seems balanced and reasonably deep, but 302 looks so orange to me.

Mad props to Lancome, though, because that shade range is incredible.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of darker foundations seem to have extreme orange undertones. There are plenty of cool-toned women of colour and very few foundations reflect this. A lot of ranges might go fairly deep but unfortunately if you break it down they still offer way more light to medium options but only a few deeper ones. A range with 20 shades might have 15 light to medium shades which increase incrementally and have multiple undertones, and then 5 dark shades (if that) with large gaps in between. Higher end brands seem to be stepping up more, but drugstore brands are definitely guilty of generally having like 1 or 2 dark shades if any at all. Looking at the Rimmel display is really disheartening.

    ReplyDelete