Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Paper Bag Challenge (aka Fragrance Beauty Roulette)


A couple of weeks ago, I gathered up 20+ perfume samples and decants that weren't getting enough love and sent them to somebody interested in expanding their fragrance horizons. I then reorganized my many vials, totally sure that I'd made major headway in my collection...and I realized I still have upwards of 100 of the little suckers. Shamefacedly, I admit that I also had more samples headed toward me via various splitting and sampling services. But can you really blame me when there's a jasmine-rose-vanilla fragrance named after the Peacock Throne? THE FREAKING PEACOCK THRONE?!

Um. I digress.


 My issue with fragrance hoarding comes from the fact that I have so many and try so much. I put a perfume on for a few days, tuck it away in my drawer to make room for something else, and then when I try to clean out my collection, I can't remember if I really loved that particular scent. I'm bad at keeping notes about individual fragrances unless it's an insta-love/hate or I'm writing a review. So I keep it, just in case.

I decided that, since I'm really enjoying my Finish 13 by Halloween challenge, I should tack on another Project Pan/Beauty Roulette style fun fest: a Paper Bag Challenge! The goal will be to try at least three fragrances, selected at random, over the course of a week; then I can decide whether or not I want to keep them. I'll keep track of my selections and decisions using an Excel spreadsheet.



I tossed about half of my samples and splits in to a paper bag, just because I worry about leakage and I wanted to be able to pull everything out and upright relatively quickly. Then I closed my eyes, gently shuffled the vials around with my hand, and picked three at random. My first selections: L'Artisan Timbuktu, Tokyo Milk La Vie La Mort, and Etat Libre d'Orange La Fin Du Monde.

Now, because the semester has just started and none of these first three is particularly potent or daring, I was able to try one-a-day for three days straight. And...I made the decision to get rid of all three. La Fin Du Monde is cool in theory (popcorn note), but it turns really screechy on my skin. I forgot that I don't like La Vie La Mort at all--there's too much tuberose and very little complexity. And while Timbuktu is lovely, it doesn't totally rock my world. That's the trick, really: I only want to keep things I truly love and could see myself using up or buying in a larger size. With all three of those babies dealt with, I'm due to start another week already.

I don't think I'll go through every set of three quite as quickly. Again, I'm funny about the scents I wear to work, so there will be days when I use an old faithful full bottle (like Byredo Black Saffron or Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser) instead of re-acquainting myself with a decant. But I'm hoping to go through my sample collection and cull it immensely. I've been posting weekly updates on my Instagram page, and I'll try to do a few update posts here as well.

8 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try Timbuktu but it's never happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice, and I'll be keeping my full LAP sampler set because it doesn't take up much room (and it's pretty, LOL). But I just don't need to keep the mini bottle--I won't get as much use out of it as some of my other stuff.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea. Fragrance hoarder here as well. We recently moved and I finally tossed dozens of tiny vials I'd had for ages and couldn't remember how I felt about, yet seem to still have just as many. They are like tribbles.
    The Perfumed Court needs to cut me off. Can't wait to read your thoughts. Sadly I'm not an Instagram person so I'll settle for what you share here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly just shots of what I grabbed from the bag right now. I'll have another update for the blog soon-ish!

      Delete
    2. I went on a bit of a perfume sniffing rampage today at Sephora and Ulta. Nothing good. Had to smell the new release from SJP after reading the quote from her something like ...smells like the sweater of a guy who's been riding the Eurorail too long. A little BO, a little smoke, a little cognac.
      So....a homeless guy on the NYC subway? She is too much.
      Also sniffed the two new Elizabeth and James scents, neither of which impressed me. I swear the Rose one smells like Bandaids.
      Just my two scents haha.
      Curious to smell the new Byredo no-name one. Kind of genius marketing.
      Sniff on, can't wait to read more reviews!

      Delete
    3. "The sweater of a guy who's been riding the Eurorail too long," LOOOOOL! I've been curious about one or two other Byredo scents myself, even though my experience thus far has been "meh."

      Delete
  3. I wish perfume samples had better packaging. I always end up getting fragrance on my fingers >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it possibly a storage issue? I store mine upright in an acrylic lipstick holder, and I'm usually okay. Also, when I ship fragrances, I wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and masking tape. Dunno if that helps!

      Delete