Wednesday, November 25, 2015

My Five Minute Face



I am the sort of person who finds makeup relaxing. Even though I rarely do anything complex or unique, my weekend makeup takes a good half hour to apply, and I allot a full 15 minutes for the very bare bones routine I use for work. I just don't enjoy rushing the process; if I'm just going to the grocery store and I'm truly short on time, I would rather go with a naked face than hastily smear on products.

That being said, there are absolutely times when I need to look presentable for a special occasion or a meeting, and...I sleep in. (What can I say? I'm human!) When that happens, I have a simple but effective five minute routine that I follow.

As with my previous base makeup routine (the Try Hard version), I have a few notes:

  • I'm used to being photographed with an HD camera, which can be unforgiving--see the naked face picture coming up. Remember that skin is not meant to be flawless, poreless, etc., and most of your imperfections will not be as visible to the naked eye as you think they are.
  • I am very pale. Do not let the back of my neck (which is always darker than the rest of me) and my surface redness/discoloration fool you. Trust and believe that these super-pale products are the right shade for me.
  • I am mostly dry-skinned and am generally too lazy to faff around with brushes. Hence, almost everything I use is a liquid or a cream.



PICTURE #1: Before -- This is my naked face. My skin is relatively clear and well-behaved, but as much as I wish I could be a "put on some concealer and call it good" person, the stark color difference between my face and my neck/chest drives me bananas. So that's usually my main focus when I'm in a hurry.

PICTURE #2: 0:00 - 1:30 -- I start by rubbing a thin layer of Buxom Show Some Skin foundation in Tickle the Ivory all over my face and slightly down my neck. This gives me a more even complexion, and it helps my face better match my neck. I also mix a small amount of Maybelline Dream Lumi Pen in Radiant in to whatever foundation is left on the back of my hand, then dab it under my eyes for a bit of a brightening effect.


PICTURE #3: 1:30 - 4:00 -- I have no eyebrows to speak of, so I have to brush some on, even if they aren't my most stylish or well-shaped effort. Usually I go for the Shu Uemura Hard Formula pencil in Seal Brown. I also pretty much need blush; in fact, I'd say that the one part of this routine that truly helps me look alive and ready is the blush. My dumb reach for "OMG I'M IN A RUSH" moments is the Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Pink Escape.

PICTURE #4: 4:00 - 5:00 and beyond -- I have skin like the Sahara, so I almost always spray on a huge amount of Cinema Secrets Moisture Spray. I fan my face with a folder for about 30 seconds to help it dry more quickly, then pat in the excess. My last step before I head out the door is to slap on a quick layer of mascara; today, I went for Tarte Lights Camera Lashes. I keep lip balms and tints in every bag I own, so I'll usually apply a bit of color before I get to my final destination. In this photo, I'm wearing the Etude House Fresh Cherry Tint in PK001 Strawberry. I also keep a perfume roll-on or sample in my briefcase, so I'm rarely fragrance-free!

And that's it! Feel free to click the pictures for close-ups of my delightful nose hairs, and let me know if you have any questions.

6 comments:

  1. Is 15 minutes long for daily make up? D: ever since i had a baby i wake up like clockwork everyday at the same time no matter what, which usually gives me at least 20 minutes to faff around with make up to go to work, sometimes 30 if I'm feeling fancy. Lol. It's always like, I'll just put on some bb cream, then oh crap i need to do my brows, damn i need some blush, argh let's do some contouring, you get the idea.

    Though if i did need to get ready in 5 minutes, i would pretty much do the same as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 minutes isn't really a long time, but when you're only putting on a few things and it takes that long...well, it's clear that I'm going very slowly. :P

      Delete
  2. I'm with you--putting on my makeup is an important ritual, and I hate the feeling of slapping on a few products and running out the door. For me, a five-minute face is concealer, mascara, blush, and a lipstick that doesn't require fine motor skills (no liquid lipsticks, no super-bold colors). Though, come to think of it, my everyday makeup takes about 10 minutes, maybe a few minutes longer if I'm doing something "complicated" (i.e. more than one shadow) on my eyes. Or if I screw up and have to start over. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of myself when I use even ONE shadow, you have no idea!

      Delete
  3. I had to be at work at 5am when I was a barista (and I lived 20-30 minutes away, blizzard depending) but I still would give myself at least 3 minutes to slap a face on. I don't look fully human without filling in my eyebrows- so many "5 minute" faces rely on the wearer having good brows or advanced wizardry skills, but that's a step I will never be able to skip. For me it's typically concealer mixed with moisturizer (two birds, one stone), rapid brows, setting powder, mascara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everybody does this, to an extent--I mean, my routine necessitates that you feel comfortable with your skin, since I spend no time spot concealing. Some people are spottier and/or feel less comfortable with just a light foundation on. But yeah, nobody ever seems to do their brows when they're in a hurry! I can't get away with that.

      Delete