Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Customer Service: You're Doing It Right

I'm usually a tough, opinionated broad, but I gotta be honest here: customer service kinda aggravates me, especially when I have to deal with beauty companies.

I think it all started when I tried the Clinique Bottom Lash mascara, didn't like it, and tried to return it. I politely explained that the little $10 tube of goop did nothing but make a smeary mess on my eyes, and the sales associate gave me The Business. She scowled, her brows furrowed, she stared at me, and she started asking a barrage of questions.

"Are you sure you were using it right?" (...it's mascara.)

"It shouldn't run, it's waterproof." (Not on me!)

"I think you need to try this again." (Uh, no, I don't like it?)

"Why didn't you bring back the gift with purchase?" (I don't normally return things, so I must've missed that etiquette lesson.)

"You should probably put it on right now so I can see what you're doing wrong." (WOMAN, I HAVE PLACES TO BE, JUST GIVE ME MY $10 BACK.)

"Fine, I guess I can exchange it." (okaythankyoubye)

Now, I'm not saying companies should be banned from asking questions. If I worked at Sephora or the like, I'd definitely want to ask the customer returning a product what was wrong with it so I could direct them to something more suitable. But the "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS YOU JUST SUCK AT MAKEUP" attitude is very prevalent in the beauty community, to the point that some bloggers are terrified of writing negative reviews or showing a product in a less-than-flattering light. It makes me a grumbly, grousing mess.

But, y'know, so does exploding makeup.

WHAT WHAT WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Case in point: these two much-beloved products of mine, which exploded within 15 minutes of each other. The applicator for my Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Eyeshadow in Rio de Rose Gold snapped in half, and my tube of Becca Dragonfruit Beach Tint spontaneously combusted. I am as gentle as can be with my makeup, so having not one, but TWO products suddenly break on me left me kind of traumatized.

I didn't want to go to customer service, but dammit, I am not rolling in the cash. These products are worth every penny, sure, but I don't have the money to replace them right now, especially when they died horrible deaths through no fault of my own. So I trudged off to the websites and submitted my complaints, expecting nothing more than a "stop being so rough with your makeup you cretin" response.

Instead, this happened:

YAAAAAAAS!

Brand new eyeshadow applicators from Josie Maran and a new tube o' Dragonfruit from Becca, all arriving within 2 weeks of my initial complaint.

Yes, I had to provide pictures of the damage, but I always take photos for customer service complaints anyway. I think that's only fair: if you're going to ask a company to replace a product, you need to prove that there's an actual something to replace. Also, correspondence with both companies was incredibly polite and quick. I sent my complaints via the company websites on the weekend and had a response from both Josie Maran and Becca by Monday evening.

I've always liked these two companies and their products, but experiencing A+ customer service from them has just increased my desire for their goods. To those companies that snark, threaten, and disregard, take note: this is how you gain a loyal fanbase.

4 comments:

  1. I also had a malfunctioned tube from Becca (it was a primer) and they were very good about replacing it, no questions asked. Good to know that about Josie Maran as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a tube blow up on my before! So amazing that they replaced yours. I know it seems like money out of their pocket, but it's prompted even more brand loyalty on my part!

      Delete
  2. I'm debating whether or not to get new applicators for my eyeshadows. I've used a lot of it up and I'm worried it will just happen again because it's soaking in water all day :/ Still, can't fault josie maran for being so on top of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think they need to redo the wands, because they break so easily, but...tell me those eyeshadows are anything less than gorgeous. They are worth every bit of brush fuss, IMO.

      Delete