Monday, May 5, 2014

Makeup Bag Test + DTMtBD Beauty Sightings


I reorganize my makeup bag every couple of months, and I always like to test out the makeup and see what kind of looks I can make. To be honest, I rarely come up with anything new or exciting; I stick with my "clean face bright lips" wheelhouse and hope it always works.

You may notice two new-ish products here: Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm Stain in Unapologetic and Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Pink Escape. I'm iffy on the Revlon matte balm--it's nice, but it doesn't last as long as the regular balm stains--but the Josie Maran gelee is beyond beautiful. I've used it many times on myself and I've tested it on my mother. Always looks natural, perfect, and slightly glowy.


This test led me to make two choices: I'm switching out MAC Fling for a darker brow pencil, ie MAC Lingering, because Fling is a bit too blonde; the Revlon lippy is beautiful (and almost a dupe for MAC Impassioned lipstick), but not all that versatile, so I'll be swapping it out for a lipstick that's easier to sheer out or layer on.

But yeah, if you want a nice satin lip pencil at an affordable price, I'd still recommend the Revlon ones. I got mine for $4 (on sale + a coupon), and it was totally worth it.

As a side note, I wanted to add some more beauty sightings! We're heading back to Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead...don't judge me, I love this movie. We're looking at a 1991 flick, so if you're an 80s or 90s aficionado, help me out!



Inside Rose's desk. Wow, that looks like Evian water...but I think it says "moisturizer" under there. Hun. Also, the white tube with the blue cap appears to say "Lash," so it must be some type of mascara. The blue bottle in the back is eye makeup remover.


Rose takes out here tray o' stuff. Obviously we can see a lipstick there, but I also spot a tube of foundation on the left side.


Mascara. Thoughts on what kind?


That's definitely part of a Revlon label on the left. Anybody recognize that blue container--looks like it might be powder?



Shots of Sue Ellen's vanity.

3 comments:

  1. *raises hand* Old lady ex-Revlon employee here! Your white lotion bottle appears to be an old face or body product, I think it was called something like Perpetual Moisture 24? The other round Revlon container below could possibly be an antiperspirant? Revlon used to be big into that market, believe it or not, even though the only ones most people know now are either Mitchum or the sensitive skin Almay ones.

    No self-respecting yuppie in the 1990's would have been caught dead without their imported French water, even in the spray bottles! The old Evian sprays used to say something like "brumisateur moisturizer", which translates roughly as "spray moisturizer". Yep, best to my recall, it was only good old water.

    Up top, it appears there's a shaker of Ben Nye powder in that drawer? They've used that stuff in theater/acting gigs forever, it was probably sitting around the set! I would be willing to bet, that the mascara and powder were some theatrical makeup brand, too. They ring NO bells at all for me, which is weird- I am a wealth of useless knowledge!

    Also bizarre- I cannot recognize the perfume bottles at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my hero. I actually kinda remember something with a name like Perpetual Moisture...hm.

      Delete
  2. I'm 99% sure that big perfume bottle in front with the dark cap is Femme by Rochas. It's lovely.

    Pic here: http://theredlist.com/media/database/muses/icon/iconic_women/iconic_women/helene_rochas/010_helene_rochas_theredlist.png

    The perfume behind it might be Givenchy's Ysatis... the cap looks like it. But the bottle doesn't, so not sure.

    The mascara is by Layla. They're an old Italian company that's always had some US presence without being huge. I used to use their mascara, lipstick and nail polish in the late 80's; they had the most divine metallic burgundy polish I often wore to Rocky Horror. ;-) Layla still makes great polish, in fact, and colored mascaras and lots of other good stuff.

    Lastly, I think the blue lidded tube might be Maybelline Great Lash...?

    ReplyDelete