Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mini-Tip: Smooth Out a MAC Satin-Finish Lipstick


It's no secret that MAC lipsticks come in some truly amazing shades that are right up my alley. Thankfully, most of them are in the two formulas I love: the creamy-and-dreamy Amplified Cream and the matte-but-not-completely-parching...well, Matte. Both of these formulations are opaque and non-streaky.

But not all of my favorite MAC lipsticks come in this formulation. Viva Glam VI Special Edition is a Lustre, but I'm willing to deal because it works well with pale pink gloss. Ruby Woo is a Retro Matte that's dryer than the Sahara, but if I want a red that'll last forever, Ruby Woo is my bitch. I'd have worn the Hell out of the gorgeous Costa Chic, a Frost, if I'd felt it was suited to my skintone. Satins, though...eek. Satins are meant to be between an Amplified Cream and a Matte in terms of finish. Unfortunately, they're rarely velvety-looking or opaque, they're usually just...dry and streaky. I have no idea why Satins tend to be more drying and flat-looking on my mouth than Mattes, but I know I'm not the only person who's experienced this.

I refuse to give up on Satins, though, because some of the best limited edition brights--namely Betty Bright and Viva Glam Nicki I--are satin finishes. My trick for getting full opacity and no streaking? A goopy lip balm and a tissue. Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream is my thick balm of choice, but you can use any sort of liquidy, viscous balm.

1. I apply a thin layer of balm to my lips. Then I apply the MAC lipstick over top of the balm directly from the tube. It should glide on at full opacity without caking up, but it might get a tad streaky. So...

2. I use my tissue to blot off the excess. This will take a bit of the color, but it'll also remove the excess moisture, and you'll have a smooth layer of lipstick left on your lips.

3. Then I apply another layer of lipstick. The remnants of the balm keep it smooth, and the remaining lipstick from the first layer amps up the color and keeps everything look full and smooth.

4. Leave as-is for a finish akin to an Amplified Cream, or blot and reapply the lipstick a second time for a more matte finish.

Most people remove any excess lip balm before they apply their lipstick, or worry about "messing up" their lipstick bullet, but my MAC Satins have been spread over EAH8C for months now without any issues. It's not a full-proof method by any means, but it's definitely made it possible for me to wear my MAC Satins without feeling like The Face Crack of the Decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment