Monday, April 21, 2014

A Mini-Review and the April Lemmings Board


I tested out the revamped CoverGirl TruBlend foundation almost 2 months ago, but I never posted the results. This is probably because I was neither thrilled nor displeased by the foundation: it came in more shades than most drugstore foundations (already a win), but the lightest shade (Ivory L-1) still didn't match me, and the formula was just "ok." Hence, I forgot about the pictures I'd taken for this here blog and moved on to more promising products.

But this wasn't exactly a TERRIBLE product, especially for $7. Let's give it some air time, eh?


The CoverGirl website claims that this foundation provides "light to medium adaptable coverage," and I'd say that's pretty accurate. Look closely at the above photos and you'll see a fading red mark on my forehead where my sister's moose of a puppy bonked me. Said mark is diminished after a layer of foundation has been applied, but it hasn't COMPLETELY disappeared.

It also appears to be a decent match. But my past experience with CoverGirl products rang true here: the foundation oxidized, just like every other CoverGirl foundation I've tried. The product also a distinctly "makeup-y" look that doesn't flatter my skin.

I will say, though, that it applied well and lasted for a good 4-5 hours before it needed a blot. I think if you had a shade match (which isn't hard with the range) and a slightly oilier skintype, this foundation could work for you.

And now for the lemmings! Be forewarned: lots of my-sister-is-having-a-May-beach-wedding prep here.


1. Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gele, $22 at Sephora.com -- I'm not sure why I still lust for these. I swatched them at Sephora and, while I found the texture really beautiful, wasn't bowled over by the overall look of them. Then I realized that the end result reminded me of a true-blue stain...definitely beach appropriate. I can't deny that I'm intrigued!

2. Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer for Dry Combination skin, $45 at Sephora.com -- I've been eyeballing this moisturizer for quite some time, but I can't bring myself to ask for a sample (counters and stores can make me nervous) or to plonk down the money (my $8 Avon Nurtura cream does a decent job of keeping my face smooth). But as I age and my skin gets even drier, a plush moisturizer with antioxidants that isn't in a jar is looking more and more enticing.

3. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics OCC Tint, $29.50 at Sephora.com -- I haven't had much luck with OCC Cosmetics. Their lip tars were a disaster on me, and none of their eye pigments or cream shadows really grabbed my attention. Then an MUAer mentioned that this tinted moisturizer was similar to MAC Face & Body, but less tacky and pale enough right out of the bottle. Color me intrigued (and properly shade-matched!).

4. Jordana Twist and Shine Moisturizing Balm Stains, $2.99 at Jordana.com -- Is there some reason why I can't find these things anywhere?! I hear worshipful odes sung to their longevity, pigmentation, and color selection, but I've been searching for months and have yet to see them in my Walgreens.

5. Mustela After Sun Spray, $15.00 at Sephora.com -- I've heard that these mid-end baby products work great for moms, too, and this light moisturizing spray sounds like the perfect addition to my beach wedding kit! Seriously, guys, I am bound to get fried and dried if I'm not careful. That's not attractive in photographs.

6. Dior DiorShow Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum, $28.50 at Nordstrom.com -- I bought this product back when it was $25 a tube, loved it, and swore I'd never buy it again. Then I grabbed a $26 tube at the duty free store in the airport, loved it, and swore I'd never buy it again. Now I'm lusting after this lash primer again, even as the price climbs higher and higher. I have decent lashes to begin with, but the thick, lush look I get with a coat of this under an already-volumizing mascara is incomparable.

No comments:

Post a Comment