Friday, January 11, 2019

VIDEO: Responding to Negative Reviews of Books I Love


Remember when YouTube would let you color correct your videos and add annotations? Man, those were the glory days. I'm sorry I'm actually blue in this video; I didn't realize they'd gotten rid of the color correcting filter and I don't have very good video editing software. Any ideas on what I should invest in? And by invest, I mean buy for $20 or less?

Also, since we can't add annotations anymore and I forgot to say this in the video, I'll repeat what I stated in this video's description box: Yes, Sarah Waters has stated that "Street Lavender" was an inspiration for "Tipping the Velvet." My complaint is more with people who claim "Tipping the Velvet" is a direct copy or a total rip-off. In reality, the similarities are mostly surface level stuff, or things you'll find in a lot of other Neo-Victorian fiction. "Inspired by" is not the same as "plagiarized."

Books Mentioned:
"Kindred," by Octavia Butler 

Also, a huge thank you to everyone who donated via KoFi! I sent $20 to amfAR in January. I'd like to keep collection for amfAR throughout the spring, since it's an organization that's near and dear to my heart.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment