Wednesday, May 30, 2018

FOTD: A Six Product Face and Floundering Wedding Makeup

(NOTE: The MAC Fix+ bottle actually contains Clinique Moisture Surge Spray. I just think the MAC bottle has a better spray nozzle.)

A friend of mine recently pointed out that, while she loves a lot of the makeup looks I wear, she has very little patience for the number of products I use when wearing a full face, in large part because her makeup bag is on the small side. It's always a bit weird for me to realize this, but even when I'm doing a "simple," "clean" look, and even though I almost always use relatively light, thin layers of product, I tend to use a lot of individual products. Even something as basic as this plum FOTD contains almost a dozen products.

So I decided to do a "five product face," which is one of my favorite Instagram and YouTube tags. I ended up using six products because I have such dry skin except for my oily nose and eyelids, but you could easily skip the eye primer or moisture spray I used if you were trying to conserve room in your bag.

For me, the real trick to reducing the number of products you need is using everything for more than one purpose. I applied my Philosophy Skin Tint in a thin layer all over my face, then tapped a tiny bit more on areas where I needed more coverage, like my undereyes. I mostly used the Kat Von D pomade for my brows, but I also pressed a bit in to the outer half of my upper eyelid to make my lashes look thicker. (This obviously looks better when my eyes are open and I'm not being photographed by an HD camera.) Lastly, I used my newest Besame lipstick, Exotic Pink, on both my lips and cheeks. Just remember that if you want to use your lipstick as a blush, it usually works best to dab it on the back of your hand, then rub your finger in to it until it warms up and thins out.


BASE: Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar Skin Tint, Clinique Moisture Surge Spray

.

CHEEKS: Besame Classic Color lipstick in Exotic Pink

.

EYES: Catrice Prime and Fine Eyeshadow Base, Kat Von D 24 Hour Super Brow Long Wear Pomade, Glossier Lash Slick

.

LIPS: Besame Classic Color lipstick in Exotic Pink
.



My makeup for this summer wedding season isn't going quite so well, however. I managed to get a beautiful Vince Camuto dress for $30, and while I think it's perfect for these special occasions, I'm...kind of at a loss of what makeup to wear with it. I'm so used to wearing the same basic color palette of black, gray, rich blue, and (to a lesser extent) white that I'm really out of my comfort zone with something so colorful. I mean, even my patterned clothes are mostly black and white.

I decided to do something based on the periwinkle, almost-lilac shade of the dress background and the pink flowers. But the look I came up with seems a little too soft. The best way to fix it, from what I'm seeing, would be to add more definition around the eyes. But how do I do that without making the look too dramatic for the day and limiting how sweatproof it is? What about a navy winged liner to match the hem--would that be a better choice? I need heeeelp!


BASE: MAC Face & Body foundation in C1 + White, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly, L'oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter in Fair, Dolce & Gabbana Powder Foundation in 50 Ivory [D/C]

.

CHEEKS: Glossier Cloud Paint in Puff, Glossier Haloscope in Quartz

.

EYES: Urban Decay Primer Potion, Glossier Lidstar in Lily and Moon, Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss, YSL The Shock Mascara, Milk Makeup Gel Brow in Pilsner

.

LIPS: NYX Lip Liner in Nude Pink, Rodin Luxury Lipstick in So Mod

7 comments:

  1. With that dress, my first instinct would be to wear a bright coral or red-orange lipstick (Besame Carmine?) to harmonize with the flowers, and keep the rest of the makeup simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seconding AB, because that's exactly what I would do with that dress: a red orange lipstick to match the flowers and then do a neutral eye, maybe something with a light rose gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm useless at colour suggestions but that Besame lipstick looks gorgeous on you! It looks really natural and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want more definition around the eyes for day time, I usually do a dark brown shade, or if you want, a cool brown to harmonize with the cooler, softer palette. And make the liner smudgier which would make it more romantic and pretty instead of dramatic. But the look really looks great as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone about the Carmine lipstick--however, I'd say soften it by using a lip brush and definitely go for the navy winged liner with a single neutral shadow and softer blush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the navy liner idea but my first instinct was to go for a red lip as well. I’m sure you will look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone else - I think a brighter lipstick to match the flowers on the dress would be lovely. I think navy liner would be perfect, too, especially if you'd prefer to keep the lips softer.

    ReplyDelete