Thursday, January 5, 2017

Return of the Lipstick Diaries #1 - Urban Decay Sheer Rapture and NARS Apoline


To kick off the new year and possibly improve my chances of finishing some of my goals for the year, I decided to revive the Lipstick Diaries. This challenge requires that I wear every lipstick in my collection, photograph it, put the pictures in a post, and decide whether or not it should stay in my collection. My lip product stash underwent quite a transformation last year, so while I won't be re-swatching anything I showed last year, I've got plenty of new lipsticks to show you.
Let's start with a product from a discontinued range, Urban Decay Sheer Rapture. This is a sheer mauve-purple with a glossy finish. I don't normally go for "sheer" or "glossy," but the swatches for this one looked so good, I just had to try it. I'm glad I did: this is an easy, comfortable, every day lipstick. I'm a little mad at myself for not wearing it more! The only problem with this one is the staying power, which is par for the course with dewy makeup. Oh, and my one eyebrow is jacked up and smeared--my bad.

NARS Apoline is one of the newest Audacious lipsticks. It's a warm pink that I've been calling a "soft rosewood color," probably because my partner does so much woodworking and I spend a lot of nights listening to his internal struggles over material choices. Whatever, you know what I mean--it's a soft, creamy, not-bright-but-not-nude sort of shade. Honestly, I don't think Apoline flatters me very much; I seem to look nicer with a brighter or cooler pink. But it's just so damn pretty! I can't stop staring at it when I wear it. I'll keep this one on my radar, but even if I eventually realize it's not the best shade for me, I know I'll have a hard time purging it.

4 comments:

  1. I think these are both really nice on you, actually! They're quite safe colours, but really pretty. I like the slight depth Apoline has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they both work for you, maybe try a cooler blush or highlight to balance it out? If either were any warmer, it might be a problem. In fact, I was considering Apoline at all until seeing you wear it. Maybe it's how it looks on camera? Looks cooler than I remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I feel like it's so off on me sometimes! I'll try a cooler blush next time.

      Delete