Friday, October 21, 2016

No Foundation Redux #4: This Has Been Good For Me


Several months ago, I wrote about feeling more and more disgruntled with my personal appearance, even if I knew logically that I look totally fine. I decided to revamp the No Foundation challenge and get some perspective on my skin.

And you know what? It's worked. I am not wearing makeup to class this semester, and it hasn't bothered me yet. I am regularly choosing to wear just a couple of products on my face while going sans base, especially if it's raining or I don't know how late it will be when I wash my face. The sense of panic at the sight of a pimple or a few new clogged pores isn't nearly as strong. (Actually, I'd say my skin's occasional blips cause a bit of exasperation for me now, nothing more. I'm tethered in reality here: my skin is good and I should be thankful for it.)

No Foundation Redux isn't the only thing that's helped, of course. My political and philosophical interests have been revitalized in the past year (for obvious reasons, if you've been watching the US Presidential Election), and it's encouraged me to look at the bigger picture. Yes, we tend to judge women more harshly than men. Yes, we are obsessed with physical beauty. Yes, we buy in to Photoshopped imagery and videos shot with skin-smoothing filters, despite having evidence that even beautiful people who spend millions on their looks also have pores and wrinkles. Yes, we need to remember that we are just as talented, intelligent, educated, and skilled as ever whether we're rocking makeup or not.

I still have my moments, of course; a particularly huge and angry pimple in the middle of my forehead will make me feel a little disgruntled when I get dressed for work, for instance. And I'm not giving up on foundation entirely. I still enjoy wearing it, especially if I'm going out on the town or am attending a formal event. But I'm better able to push my insecurities aside and see my face for what it really is: perfectly normal. I skipped foundation today because I just didn't feel like wearing it, and I still think I look pretty good. Success!

Have I mentioned that I found leftover mirror tiles in the basement? Cause I did. I found leftover mirror tiles.

Here are today's products. I decided to mix the new Glossier Generation G shades, Zip and Leo, to get a rustier, fall leaf red shade. (I lied about replacing my other Gen Gs, by the way--I decided to order the updated Crush and Jam tubes today. The new formula and packaging are just much nicer.) I ignored the couple of tiny red spots I have on my face and just dabbed a bit of Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer on my undereyes. My trusty Shiseido curlers and the Milk Ubame mascara I'm enjoying so much worked out my lashes, and I filled in my brows with the Milk Gel Brow pencil.

There's also some blush in this look, which I've skipped on previous no foundation days. Kevyn Aucoin Tansoleil is a lovely peach that works so well with reds and nudes, but I probably didn't put enough on. Oops.

14 comments:

  1. Looking great without foundation. Do you like the Kat Von Concealer? How does it compare to Nars RCC? Is it gentler on the skin under the eye - less tugging to blend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a full review of the Kat Von D concealer a few weeks back--check the review tag!

      Delete
  2. Oh to the generation g I say treat yo self! This is a really nice affirming post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great. It's amazing how things can change without anything really changing except for your mindset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Sometimes, you just need to adjust your perspective.

      Delete
  4. Yes yes yes!!!! You look beautiful without foundation! I rarely wear it, although I usually wear powder. But I love this post. Fuck unrealistic beauty standards. Makeup should feel fun, not like an obligation. I recently decided to stop coloring my hair and am letting my natural silver grow in, and it feels so liberating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think women with really stark silver/white hair look amazing.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for feeling better about your own face! Something I'm constantly working on (although more with my weight than my skin).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great without foundation, Renee :) My skin has cleared a lot during pregnancy so I'm learning to go with less and less in terms of base. I used to wear a spot concealer every day, but now most days I don't even bother reaching for it. To go completely foundation-free - now that's the next level for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skin looks great without foundation—very healthy.

    I've never been able to get used to the heavy feeling of foundation on my skin, but I've probably never found the best product for me. I never wear it during the day, but I'm still on the hunt for something light-coverage for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike the feeling, too, which is why I tend to favor very lightweight foundations and tinted moisturizers: Buxom Show Some Skin, MAC Face & Body, Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint, Makeup Forever Water Blend, etc.

      Delete