Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Sample Rundown #11


My Sample Rundown posts seem to have unintended themes. It might be an entire post of "Holy shit, this is not for my skin type," or four or five products that were mediocre. This post's theme will be, "It's a really wonderful product, it's just not for me." We've got two makeup samples and two skincare samples to discuss, so let's move along!

Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick -- I got this sample of Kimchi, a bright blue-based pink, in my first Sephora Play! box, and I've also tried Meringue a little while back. Honestly, my views on this formula haven't changed much. It's a very pigmented and smooth formula that doesn't dry out my lips, has good staying power (especially if you apply, blot, and reapply), and comes in a great range of colors. A few people have mentioned that the brighter shades bleed and smear on them, but that wasn't an issue for me, especially if I used a lipliner--Kimchi stayed flawless on my lips for a good 5 hours. I will note that they gave this product a citrus-type flavor and smell that I dislike; it's very plasticky to me. This isn't a lip formula I'm going to rush out and buy, especially since there are formulas I like just as much for a fraction of the price. But it's a solid new range.

Clinique Pep Start Eye Cream -- This is the one product that disappointed me. I've heard rave reviews of this cream that claimed it brightens up the eye area, but I didn't notice much of an impact. It does have a very light texture and it doesn't burn my eyes, so that's nice. I didn't notice any difference in my fine lines or early morning puffiness, however.


Tarte Opening Act Lash Primer -- I've been using this primer off and on for about 2 months, and so far, I'm decently impressed with it. Like most lash primers, Tarte Opening Act coats the lashes and applies as a stark white. I find that it's best to apply your mascara shortly after using the primer to prevent clumping, so work one eye at a time. I got a tiny bit of volume from this primer (with the increased risk of spider lashes), but mostly, it provided a lot of length. It didn't make my mascara flake off or smear more, either. I actually want volume more than length, so a full size of Opening Act wouldn't serve me, but it's still an effective product.

Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Gel -- I was terrified that I was going to love this product or experience a major reaction to it. Luckily (?), I found this product very gentle and effective, but just not for me. This gel-textured moisturizer contains not only vitamin B, but a whole host of beneficial ingredients, like healthy fruit extracts selected to even out skin and retain moisture. Actually, I keep referring to the ingredients list as "angelic:" no major cloggers, no fragrance, no drying alcohols, etc. The lightweight texture of B-Hydra is really beautiful; it soaked right in to my skin and didn't leave any residue. This did not provide enough hydration for me on its own, so I stopped using it, but I could see it being a go-to for people with oily skin. It's also worth trying if you have normal or combination skin and want something weightless for the warmer months.

2 comments:

  1. Since the Drunk Elephant Gel is Hyluronic Acid based, I don't believe its supposed to be a moisturizer on its own, but instead, a serum layer that helps retain and transfer moisture from the air and other products. It needs an occlusive layer on top of it (they suggest their Marula Oil, but any moisturizer you like) to feel any benefits. Oh, also I find with Hyluronic products, it is highly necessary to apply to a damp face, I use a rose water spray, so that the acid has some water to retain, rather than drawing moisture OUT of the skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that, but the description on several websites (like Sephora) claims you can mix it, layer it, or use it alone. I did try layering it under a moisturizer, but it didn't do enough for me, unfortunately; I'm just too dry. It's still a lovely product, and I think a lot of people who don't need as much moisture slapped back on to their skin will like it.

      As for moisture: I actually splashed my face with cool water and patted it mostly dry before applying this in the morning.

      Delete