Thursday, February 4, 2016

Time to Say Goodbye to Chanel Illusion d'Ombres


I'm not a big eyeshadow person, but when I fall for a little pot of pigment, I fall hard. The love I've felt for Chanel's Illusion d'Ombre shadows has been the stuff of romance novels, full of endless praises and poetic waxing. (Shit, look how purple my prose is now.) I've been loyal to these babies for four years, and in the ever-changing world of beauty blogging, that's saying something.

But there are two problems. The first is that I don't wear eyeshadow often, especially sparkly eyeshadow, so these only get worn on the weekend or when I'm going out to a club or a special event. The second is that these dry out quickly; I've replaced my favorite shades, Illusoire and Epatant, three times in the span of four years. If you aren't using even half of something up before it needs to be discarded...well, there's a problem. The return on investment isn't being realized. The love is unrequited.

Illusoire on left, Epatant on right

I was downright thrilled when I rolled "show something more love" for my current round of Beauty Roulette, because I figured it'd be the best excuse to rock my IdOs. And sure enough, I used both shades several times in several months, and my love for them was reignited. Just look at how beautiful they are! One shadow gives you a fantastic, multi-dimensional look in less than a minute! Photos do not do them justice, truly.

But I have to admit it: without Beauty Roulette, these aren't getting used. I really am too lazy to put on eyeshadow for work most mornings, so despite my best intentions, they are still only for weekends or nights on the town. And they deserve better than that.

I figure I'll sell or swap these off to a more loving home. Maybe somebody who has never tried them will finally get their chance. It'll be hard to say goodbye to something so pretty, something that's been like an old friend for years. But for now, at least, I think it's wise to leave these to the eyeshadow lovers and sparkle fanatics of the world.

6 comments:

  1. *Wishes I was a sparkle fanatic and not lazy in the mornings, so I wouldn't feel bad buying these*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were nice because I'm lazy--they create a great eye look with very little effort. But I just need to realize that I don't need sparkly eyes that often!

      Delete
  2. I love how they look but I've never bought one precisely because everyone says they go dry so fast. I'm amazed at your dedication, if mine dried up in a year i would never repurchase it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be totally fair, my first batch were all part of splits, ie, everybody tossed in some money and the jars were split four ways. So those ones I used up pretty quickly and replaced within a few months. But yes, I find that they do dry up within about a year, year-and-a-half.

      Delete