Sunday, January 3, 2016

Sample Rundown #8 + Duping a Highlighter? Maybe?

We're back for 2016, and we're back with another edition of Sample Rundown! This particular rundown is going to feature a mixture of Korean and western beauty, makeup and skincare, "this is pretty sweet shit" and "why the Hell would you pay that much for this nonsense?" Also, there will be a "is this a dupe?" swatch comparison at the end, because this is my blog and I do what I want. ONWARD!


Skinfood Royal Honey Eye Cream -- This is a creamy, smooth eye cream with a bit of a gel texture. It provides light moisture and a hint of glow, and the formula feels weightless under the eyes, so it should work well for people with normal, slightly dry, or slightly oily skin who want a basic eye cream. With that said, it's also a tad sticky, so I wouldn't recommend it for under makeup. This made me break out, unfortunately, but I really did like the texture and how a little goes a long way. Purchase directly from a reputable Korean seller, like RoseRoseShop.com, unless you want to deal with major price gouging.

Clarins Super Restorative Night Cream -- Sweet God, can you believe that this things costs over $100 retail?! This cream feels thick and rich on your fingers, but when you actually rub it in to your skin, it provides only moderate hydration. It's also lacking in the kind of active ingredients and antioxidants that would make the price seem reasonable; in fact, the formula is extremely basic. Overpriced and did little for my dry skin.


 Wearing the Etude House Fresh Cherry Tint and ELF Shimmering Facial Whip.


Etude House Fresh Cherry Tint in PK001 Pink -- A soft, semi-sheer lip tint that applies smoothly and easily. Out the tube (packet?), this product looks and smells like strawberry milk. It's less pastel on the lips, however, and is very wearable. Just make sure you don't smear your lips together for a good minute, or it'll all settle in the center of your mouth. I'm torn on this one: I like how it looks on the lips and how easy it is to apply, but it's a smidge drying and it doesn't last as long as other stains. Maybe I'll grab a full tube if I can get it for the right price.

Too Cool For School Pumpkin Sleeping Pack -- Korean sleeping packs come in a range of formulas, but in my experience, most are like a moisturizer and a mask having a baby. The popular TCFS Pumpkin Sleeping Pack doesn't smell a thing like pumpkins--it actually has a bit of a sweet, floral fragrance--but it does have a light, smooth texture and a clear color going for it; this means it won't feel heavy or look creepy on your face. I wear a thin layer of this over most of my face (I skip my nose), let it sink in for 10 minutes, then go to sleep. The next day, I wake up and my skin is slightly more moisturized and quite soft. Makeup applies a bit better after I use this as well. The results are not dramatic, though, so I think I'll use up my sample sachets before deciding whether or not I want a full size.

Guerlain Maxi Lash So Volume! mascara -- Most high-end mascaras strike me as "meh" for the price, and this one is no different. While it claims to be a volumizing mascara, I found that it gave me only a little volume. I definitely got a lot of length from it, though, which may be due to the rubberized wand bristles. It was easy to remove at the end of the night, which is a bonus, but it flaked a good bit throughout the day. Definitely not worth purchasing a full size, in my opinion.


Now I want to talk about a supposed dupe that's been mentioned in the rumor mill! A few people mentioned that the ELF Shimmering Facial Whip in Spotlight is a dupe for the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl, and one of my acquaintances mentioned that Spotlight replaced their MAC Cream Color Base in Luna. I own all three products, so I figured I'd test them out and do some swatching.


The above swatches are Becca on the left, ELF in the middle, MAC on the right. As you can hopefully see, Luna has a more opaque white base than the other two, and Pearl has the most refined Shimmer. Spotlight will certainly give you a glow--see the full face picture above--but I would not say it's comparable to these two at all. It's heavily fragranced, a bit difficult to blend out, and nowhere near as adjustable.

Is it a bad highlighter? No, especially not for $1. But I would never consider it a dupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment