Tuesday, September 15, 2015

5 Luxury Products I'd Repurchase Without Hesitation


Consider the Byronic hero. He was cynical, critical, and often sulky, the kind of guy you reluctantly cheered for because--while he was certainly a hero of sorts--he was still a major douchebag. But if there's one thing we can't fault a Byronic hero for, its his patience: those guys gave new meaning to the word "brood." They thought long and hard about damn near everything, so much so that their thoughts became 95% of every poem or play they were in.

I think this is why I've always kind of liked Byronic heroes. I am the very definition of a brooder, especially when it comes to my money: I fret and fuss over nearly every penny I spend. It's very rare for me to spend exorbitant amounts of cash on a single piece of makeup, because when I do, I'm often disappointed. (For example, I have yet to try a single $100+ foundation that could top MAC Face & Body, the large bottles of which cost less than $10 per ounce.) There's plenty of great stuff at drugstore and mid-end prices that kicks luxury's ass. But I have found some luxury items that are so wonderful, unique, and perfect-for-me that I would actually pay double for them, should the need arise. Here's a list of them.

Dolce & Gabbana Perfect Finish Powder Foundation, $61 -- Still one of my most popular reviews to date, this is the only powder foundation that has ever worked on my dry skin. The packaging is super luxurious: while it does get scratched up very easily, it's heavy and safe, and you can drop this powder numerous times without it breaking. The product itself is finely milled and can be layered heavily without making your skin look cakey. I'm especially happy about D&G's shade range; they're one of the few brands that creates shades for the very pale all the way up to the moderately dark. I prefer to use this as a matte setting and touch-up powder, but it works just fine as a foundation as well.

Shu Uemura Hard Formula Brow Pencil, $23 -- It's true that the Shu pencil isn't much more expensive than most mid-end options. But because it's quite hard to get in the states these days (which can add a high shipping cost), I consider this a luxury product. You may pay $23 for this pencil, but you're getting something that may very well outlive you. I've sharpened mine 5 or 6 times, and it still looks practically brand new because you get so much product and need so little to fill in your brows. As you can see by the damaged cap, this pencil is a well-loved part of my collection.

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl, $41 -- Yet another product that is seemingly bottomless! $41 is a hefty price for a liquid highlighter, but you get an entire ounce of product in easy-to-use, hygienic plastic packaging with a pump. And an ounce of this stuff really does last: I think I've had my bottle for 3 years now, and even after creating several sample pots for friends and using it regularly, I've hardly made a dent in it. You can use a thin layer of the SSP for a natural glow, pack it on for tons of shine, or even add a dash to your foundation for extra dewiness. It's simply amazing.

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal Light, $45 -- The second powder on my list is this beauty from Hourglass. I purchased my compact second-hand, never expecting the stuff to work out for me. Well...I love it. This is an off-white satin finish powder that makes a fantastic finishing powder for pale skin. It doesn't add shine or make you look matte, it just gives your skin a soft-focus finish. It's especially good for photography.

YSL Creme de Blush in Babydoll, discontinued -- I don't think I'll ever get over this product being discontinued, because it's the most perfect clean pink I've ever owned. The formula is a light, airy mousse that's easy to blend and does not disturb your foundation. The color brightens up my complexion without looking garish or overdone. YSL supposedly discontinued this formula in favor of the Kiss and Blush product, but I don't think it's at all comparable--the Creme de Blush is a thousand times better. I will probably cry when my pot runs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment