Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Lipstick Diaries #2: Lipstick Queen Pinky Nude Saint and Bright Rose Sinner


It's a dilemma as old as time itself: do I keep a lipstick that flatters me, but doesn't make my heart beat faster? Or do I keep a lipstick that doesn't flatter me, but warms the cockles of my heart?

On the left, we have Lipstick Queen Pinky Nude Saint. In a purely objective sense, this one works for me: it's not too brown or too warm, it works with my complexion, and it's easy to wear. Unfortunately, I don't feel excited or energized when I wear it. The problem is that it's pretty much the exact same color as my lips. No, I don't mean it's "My Lips But Better" (MLBB), I mean it's the actual color of my lips, just a bit smoother and glossier. Yeah, it works for me, but there has to be a nude pink lipstick out there that will work for me AND thrill me when I wear it.

On the right, we have Lipstick Queen Bright Rose Sinner, which was a gift from my mother. (So, y'know, there's immediate sentimental value.) This is a very versatile lipstick because you can apply it full-on (as seen here), blot it for a softer look, or use a tiny amount under balm to create a rosey stain. It's gorgeous, and I love looking at it in all of its saturated goodness. But it just doesn't seem to look right on me. I having nothing wrong with a color "popping," but it needs to make me look better in the process. Bright Rose Sinner just seems...completely disconnected from my face. *sigh*

Side note: how do we feel about the rest of what's going on here? I've got extra glow and stronger brows on the left, and less glow and softer brows on the right. Preferences? I'm in an experimental phase.

8 comments:

  1. If a lipstick doesn't excite you at all, there's probably a reason why, even if it's technically "flattering." Maybe keep the nude lipstick until you find one that does excite you? I do think the LQ is nice, but it's not doing a lot for your face; it's just sort of there. You're right about the Bright Rose sort of taking over; it makes your other features recede into the background. Would it work better with slightly stronger eye makeup?

    By the way, I love the stronger brows on you! I'm going through an ambivalent brow phase myself. I'd like to fill them in the way you have on the left, but they're so thick and dark that it might look insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, I agree about Pinky Nude Saint. It looks good, but it doesn't exactly wow you. If I could just find a dead-on dupe for TF Melted Peony with a better formula! *sigh*

      And I personally love dark, thick brows. I know they're en vogue, but I honestly think they look great on most people.

      Delete
  2. I seem always to disagree with you about what is flattering in these lipstick comparisons! I think Bright Rose looks great. Maybe it looks different in person? But it doesn't look like it is wearing you or anything and your skin looks lovely. I think you should keep it if it makes you happy, since it's certainly not making you look sick or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lyn, I actually really like Bright Rose on you (meaning, I think you should totally keep it - and if you think the full saturation doesn't suit you, wear it blotted/ as a stain). And I like the bolder brows! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tend to prefer it stained, which is unusual for me!

      Delete
  4. I know this is an older discussion, but the Pinky Nude Saint color which you find unexciting on yourself makes you look like a lovely English rose. No worthy man could resist that blooming, sweet color, compared to any bright, tarty pink that might be attractive through one or two drinks at the local bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a good thing I don't pick my lipstick based on what men will think about it.

      Delete