Friday, June 26, 2015

I Took This Junk to New York


I recently traveled to New York City to visit my friend Matt and see some sights. (Pictures are coming soon!) Because my friend Danny and I took the Greyhound, and because I hate looking like that crazy woman who insists on taking everything she owns on an overnight trip, I tested out several makeup bag conglomerations. Yes, I practiced packing the perfect Long Weekend Makeup Bag...I only feel a little pathetic.

Please note that my general hygiene stuff, like shampoo and sunscreen, was in a separate bag. I promise that this is not the only healthy and beauty stuff I packed; I totally brushed my teeth before heading to the theater.

Without further ado, here's what I packed and why!


1. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly -- Nothing covers a blemish like Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer, to be sure, but I didn't want to faff around with brushes or mixing. This NARS concealer works well for both blemishes and my undereyes, and it's easy to apply with fingers.

2. Shiseido lash curlers -- I actually debated leaving my lash curlers at home, but eeeeeeh, I'm addicted. Curled lashes really do open up your eyes--great for days when it's too hot for me to wear actual makeup and still feel like a human being!

3. Maybelline Full n' Soft waterproof mascara -- No matter how many other mascaras I try, this remains my HG. It's layerable, never flakes or smears, and isn't a pain in the arse to remove. This is actually an older tube, which I replaced immediately after returning from the trip.

4. Too Faced Shadow Insurance -- For those rare moments when I actually wore #14.

5. Maybelline Dream Lumi concealer in Radiant -- Light, glowy, and slightly pink, this is a great corrector for under my eyes. I usually mix it with the NARS concealer, or dab a little bit on top at the end of my routine for added brightness. On truly lazy makeup days, I'll just use this over a thin layer of tinted moisturizer.

6. Dolce & Gabbana powder foundation in 50 Ivory -- I debated long and hard between this and Hourglass Ethereal Light powder. While the Hourglass sits beautifully on my dry skin, this is a better touch up powder for humid weather, and it comes with a washable sponge.

7. Yves Saint Laurent Creme de Blush in Babydoll -- This clean, neon pink is fantastic for pale skintones. It adds a pop of color to the cheeks and blends perfectly without looking overdone or fake. Out of all of my blushes, I think this one does the best job of actually freshening up my face. Plus, it works well with #9!

8. Buxom Show Some Skin foundation in Tickle the Ivory -- Another hard choice: this or Face & Body. I ended up going for this because it matches me right out of the tube and dries quickly (meaning it's easier for me to work with in a short amount of time), and because it has SPF30. It doesn't last as long as F&B, unfortunately, but the D&G powder helped with touch-ups!

9. MAC Viva Glam Miley Cyrus lipstick -- I swore I was only going to take one lipstick to NYC, because I knew it'd be too hot, and we'd be too busy, for a full arsenal. But I wanted something for nights out on the town. I went with VGMC because it's bright, beautiful, and flattering, but also a little unexpected. But in the name of honesty, I have to admit that...I never actually wore it in NYC. It was so hot, and we were so busy, I just never got around to applying it!

10. Anastasia clear brow gel -- One of my many travel-sized tubes! Used almost daily to keep my weird brow hairs in order and contribute to better grooming overall.

11. MAC Strobe Cream -- Selected over all of my other highlighters because it's natural-but-beautiful and incredibly light on my skin. Also, it's travel-friendly: I love my Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl, but that tube is unwieldy for trips.

12. ELF Makeup Remover Pen -- $3 of pure glory. I always make a bit of a mess with my mascara, and this makes cleaning up my eyelids a breeze!

13. Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Brown -- While Shu Uemura Seal Brown remains my HG brow pencil, this guy is a close second. The softer formula and thin size makes it easy to apply quickly without overdoing it. It's also shorter, thinner, and lighter than the Shu pencil, and it comes with a brow spoolie on the end. (Remember: I'm a  lazy jerk when it comes to brushes and traveling.)

14. Prescriptives palette -- These old matte eyeshadows belonged to my mother many years ago. The colors are very similar to MAC Wedge and Wet n' Wild Brulee, which is perfect: I like to use those two shadows to give my eyes a cleaner, more polished look, but they shatter very easily. These Prescriptives shadows are much harder and more firmly packed, but still pigmented, so they're better for travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment