Friday, March 20, 2015

FOTD: Unbalanced


By unbalanced, I mean "my face isn't all finished," not, y'know, that I'm crazy. You graduate from "crazy" to "eccentric" when you hit 18.

This "nothing but lipstick" look is much admired on sites like Into the Gloss. And I want to get behind it, I do, especially because I see a lot of women in my day-to-day life who wear nothing but mascara and lipstick. They look great. And here I am, slapping on 20+ products for the most basic look, because I want everything to be "just right."

However, I don't think this is a very attractive look for me. Barring the fact that I have a rather pointy chin and the nothing-but-lipstick type of look draws attention to that, I just feel uncomfortable and unfinished. I mean, look at my brows: they're practically invisible! And I'm so pale that the lack of blush makes me look almost dead.


BASE: MAC Strobe Cream, MAC Face & Body in N1 + White, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly

.
 
EYES: Maybelline Dream Lumi concealer pen in Radiant, ELF Wet Gloss Clear Lash and Brow Mascara

.
 
CHEEKS: nothing

.
 
LIPS: Maybelline Super Stay 14 Hour Lipstick in Non-Stop Red

.

To be totally honest, I don't like how this lipstick looks on me. It tends to apply a bit patchy--notice that my top lip is less red than my bottom--and it has a slightly sticky texture. But it was a gift from a friend, and I have a REALLY hard time getting rid of gifts.

You'll also notice that I applied the Maybelline Dream Lumi pen in Radiant all around my eyes, including my eyelids. This is because, as I've aged, my lids have gotten much more discolored and sallow. It's very visible in this picture:


This is me sans lipstick and Dream Lumi pen. I actually think it looks a hair better than the finished look because, again, I don't think the Maybelline is my most flattering red, especially when I'm skipping blush. But I'm probably going to keep that illuminating pen trick. I actually stole that idea from a makeup artist friend of mine; he says he does that on a lot of his more mature clients to camouflage discoloration and soften fine lines.

I always love brushed-up brows, though, and the ELF clear mascara is nicely dewy and pretty. So I'll be keeping those. I just...don't think I'll go bare-browed for most of my future. I NEED MY BROW PENCIL! And of course, I always wear blush when I wear makeup. I'm too pale to skip it.

4 comments:

  1. I think it looks "editorial" ! I wouldn't walk around sans eyebrows and at least 10 coats of mascara and a balm...not to mention red lips point out the hyper-pigmentation on my cheeks even more. It's impossible. I can't be a minimalist when it comes to makeup :P Maybe if we cheat it and use ultra "natural" products everywhere else...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editorial = looks good in pictures and crap in real life to me, LOL! I dunno, I know some of us wear way more than "ordinary" people do, but...I just think I look gaunt without blush.

      Delete
  2. I think it looks very pretty =) The pale struggle is real! I have light blonde eyebrows that, without some extra help, are pretty much invisible so I understand. It can be kinda awkward at the gym, where it's impractical to go full face, especially under the harsh fluorescent lights lol. I feel like the gym is right up there with the beach on the list of places having a mastery of the minimalist is especially important for us "fair" maidens =p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! OMG, when people take flash photos of me and most of my eyebrows disappear--it's really creepy looking.

      Delete