In my experience, plenty. I've whined about this before and I'll whine about it again: I don't like summer. It's sticky, it breaks my face out in heat and sun rashes, and it makes me sweat a lot. I'm a fussy-fussy-two-by-four and I hate sweating. I'd much rather be cuddled up in a sweater with a cup of hot cocoa in my hands and a layer of mega-rich cream on my face.
Because winter is not easy on the skin, especially if you're normal to dry all year round, I've decided to list my 10 favorite products for getting through the winter flawlessly.
1. Haus of Gloi Pumpkin Butters - There is nothing else like this thick, rich moisturizer when my body feels dry and itchy. Loaded with pumpkin oil and other skin-soothing ingredients, Haus of Gloi's pumpkin butter is one of the only body care products that keeps my skin smooth and soft during the winter. See full review here.
2. MAC Strobe Cream - MAC Strobe Cream is best known as a highlighter, but it's actually created to be, and marketed as, a lightweight moisturizer with light-reflecting properties. Of course, you can use it as a highlighter--I certainly do--but it also works great under makeup to add a glow to your face. Best of all, it's very affordable: a 1oz bottle is just $10! See more info here.
3. Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, fragrance free - My love, my baby, my wooblet. There are plenty of other hand creams I've enjoyed (L'occitane's wide selection comes to mind), but if my fingers are cracked and ashy, and I'm trying to get them back to square one? Nothing works as well as this drugstore gem. I also use it on the end of my nose after a sinus infection or cold to heal chapped skin.
4. Paula's Choice Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment - This is PC's most potent AHA exfoliator, with 10% glycolic acid. I've noticed a marked improvement in my skin's texture since I switched from physical to chemical exfoliants, and I'm in love with this thin, lightweight formulation. I use it once a week--usually on Friday nights--and wake up with noticeably softer, smoother, more even skin. More details in the upcoming Sample Rundown #4.
The Base Products
5. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer - Now that my skin is behaving itself and the "tan" on my face is starting to fade, I can often get away with a spot of concealer and a dusting of powder. This new NARS concealer has quickly become a staple in my routine, thanks to its blendable medium coverage and creamy formula that sits beautifully on the skin. I love it so much that, when my makeup bag was stolen from me a few months back, I immediately rushed out and bought another tube.
6. Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee - How have I not written about these little wunderkinds before?! They're one of the newest additions to the Josie Maran line, and I'd argue that they're already cult classics. The lightweight gel-texture formula sits beautifully on even the driest cheeks, lasts for at least 6 hours, and is glowy enough to eliminate the need for highlighter.
7. Ecotools powder brush - My skin gets more sensitive in the winter, so I need the softest tools out there. The Ecotools powder brush tops that list: it's as soft and fluffy as a kitten's paw. It's also very, very affordable! I've had this particular brush for at least 5 years, and I've had zero problems with ferrule glue loosening or brush hairs falling out.
The Comfortable Colors
8. Urban Decay Revolution lipsticks - I wouldn't call any lipstick truly "moisturizing," but the Urban Decay Revolution lipsticks are about as close as you're going to get. These lipsticks sit comfortably on my lips, even when they're cracked or dry, and have decent staying power. As an added bonus, the color range is phenomenal. See full review here.
9. Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade - I used to live in the Great White Frozen North, where strong winds would whip up the mountains of snow and fling them right in to your face. One of my biggest annoyances with this was how it wiped off my eye makeup. That's not a problem with Anastasia' new Dipbrow Pomade. Although the creamy formula has a slight learning curve, it's a dream once you get used to it thanks to the pigmentation and long wear time. This stuff lasts over 12 hours on my face, through wind, rain, and anything else Mother Nature throws at me. Full review coming soon.
10. NYX Butter Gloss - I'm not a gloss person, but if I was? I'd load up on these. At just $5 apiece, these glosses are just as buttery and smooth as the name suggests. They manage to stay on your lips without bleeding all over the place, but they're not especially sticky, which is quite a feat. And the color range? Phenomenal.