Sunday, January 26, 2014

REVIEW: RMS Beauty Living Luminizer


The RMS Beauty Living Luminizer is to the makeup world what Marina and the Diamonds is the music: it's simultaneously a cult favorite and a relative unknown. This probably has a lot to do with who talks about the product and who does (or rather doesn't) use it: it gets mentioned in magazines from time to time, it pops up in a few YouTube videos, and the few makeup artists and models who use it gush over it. But RMS Beauty is an indie company without major television marketing campaigns (at least in the US), so the average consumer is not going to know about the brand, let alone get hyped up over their highlighter.

I am not the average consumer. Not only do I read magazines, blogs, and press releases obsessively, I also pore over professional beauty breakdowns, seek out little-known brands and products, and am generally willing to experiment by putting odd things on my skin. In that sense, I'm definitely in RMS' target group.

I didn't buy the RMS Beauty Living Luminizer for nigh on a year, however, because...well, it's a high-end product, I'm kind of broke, and I'm notoriously picky about highlighters. I've used dozens, but only a few have stayed in my collection throughout the years, all liquids. I just wasn't sure if this supposed miracle-in-a-pot was going to suit my tastes.

Then an incredibly lovely lady sent me her pot, saying it was "too yellow" for her and that the texture no longer suited her skin. And she's not lying about the color.


The RMS Beauty Living Luminizer is mostly pearly, but it definitely has a hint of "white gold" to it. Actually, to me it's like a cream version of Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight powder, or a softer MAC Cream Colour Base in Pearl (click here for swatches and pictures of both). I don't think it'll be noticeable on most skintones--it doesn't seem to be on my N10ish skin--but if you're as remarkably pale as our dear Driveler is and/or more on the pink side, that yellow tone may be more prominent. Becca Pearl is definitely a "pure pearl," with no hints of yellow or pink, while Benefit High Beam and MUFE Uplight #11 have a pink tinge to them.

What's most remarkable (and most beloved) about this highlighter, however, is its translucency. All of those swatches are quite heavy, but you can still see my skin oh so clearly through the RMS swatch. This is one of the many reasons why it's often talked up for mature skin: it will never be completely opaque or look heavy, because you will always see your skin underneath. It's really quite remarkable.


The other reason why this product is often recommended for mature skin is because of its texture: mature skin tends to be dryer, and this is an emollient highlighter if ever I saw one. The first time I touched it, I just about jumped out of my skin; I wasn't expecting something so...sticky, I suppose. It feels a bit like Vaseline, and a little goes a long way.

While this makes for a smooth, seamless application and plenty of comfort on my dry cheeks, I have to note that the Living Luminizer never dries down completely on my cheeks. It doesn't transfer or feel heavy, but if I touch my skin with my finger 15-20 minutes after application, it still feels a bit tacky. An hour after application, the product has mostly dried, but there's still a hint of "wetness" there. And I have very dry cheeks as a general rule. This leads me to believe that it's not the best product for oily skin or humid-and-hot-summer use.


I'd also like to dispute the claim that there's "no glitter" in this product. There's definitely some shimmer, as this HD photo--shot while I was wearing the teeniest hint of Living Luminizer possible--clearly shows. It's not visible to the naked eye or in standard definition photos, and it doesn't look BAD, as the shimmer is quite finely milled...but if you're completely opposed to shimmer in any way, shape, or form, this might not be the product for you.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this product. It has a lovely (if unusual, for me) texture, it applies like a dream, it's totally travel sized, and it definitely gives my skin a healthy glow. Will it replace my HG Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl? Not a chance. But will I keep it in my emergency makeup bag and recommend it to friends? Absolutely.

RATING: 4 out of 5.

6 comments:

  1. I'm loving the HD pics for products like this. I too have heard rave reviews all over the internet, but I'm just not that into highlighters so I think I will pass on this one. It does look lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not for folks who aren't in to highlighters. Glad you're liking the HD!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely helpful review. The HD pic certainly lends a better eye to understanding how it will appear on skin. Been on fence about purchasing and I am defiantly going to give it a chance. I too love Becca but I am so intrigued by the great reviews on RMS that I must also try it. Just discovered your blog as this article brought me to it. Looking forward to discovering more posts of yours Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful! I hope you end up loving the RMS.

      Delete
  3. Hi, what lip colors is the model wearing? I happened on your blog because I was researching RMS, I really like the line a lot. I have dehydrated skin, so the make up actually stays on my face. On my skin, it's not tacky. They have come out with an amazing brush to really blend and get the airbrush look. Anyways, thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me, not a model. I'm not 100% sure what the first one is, but it looks a lot like something I have now, the MAC Huggable lipstick in Bare Hug. The red at the bottom is Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon.

      Delete