Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Spring Fails, Faves, and Raves


It's always nice finding new products to love and to cherish for as long as my stash lives! The most impressive of the new foundations I've tried recently has to be the Tarte BB Tinted Treatment ($34, Sephora). This is my new oh-Hell-I'm-in-a-hurry base product, because it works on my pale skin right out of the tube, contains sunscreen, and provides a bit of coverage. It also works as a great base for powder foundation. I've loved the Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Moist Glow blushes ($24, Nordstrom) for at least a year now, but Isadore is the newest shade in my collection, and gah, is it gorgeous! It's a bit warmer/more "yellow" than what you see here, and it just looks so fresh and bright on my cheeks! L'occitane is a new brand for me, but after receiving a 1 oz hand cream in a swap, I was hooked. The products are moisturizing without being greasy, the 1 oz tubes are great for my purse or my work coat pockets, and you can roll said tubes up to get every last bit of product out! My mom and I have been particularly impressed with the L'occitane Dry Skin Foot Cream ($10, Nordstrom). Last, but not least, I have to give a shout-out to CoverGirl LashBlast Clump Crusher mascara ($7, drugstores), which has usurped Prestige My Biggest Lashes as my Holy Grail mascara. Case in point: tonight, my mom asked if I had worn false eyelashes to work. Good on ya, Clump Crusher.


Unfortunately, not everything can be sunshine and rainbows and kittens. A few of my most recent testers have failed me. The biggest disappointment was definitely the Rouge Bunny Rouge Highlighting Liquid in Sea of Clouds ($45, BeautyHabit). I've heard raves about this liquid highlighter from fellow makeup addicts and received two very kind, generous samples, but unfortunately, I just don't like it on my skin. It feels dry to the touch and looks like a bunch of glitter sitting on top of my skin, especially in photographs. I'm sticking with Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector for now. I've also heard great things about Rimmel Stay Matte Long-Lasting Pressed Powder ($5, drugstores); it's often compared to MAC Studio Fix powder. The only part of my face that REALLY needs mattifying is my oily nose...and on that count, this powder is better referred to as "Stay Satin for a Short While."  And while it might not surprise you, oh fair readers, that Maybelline Great Lash BIG mascara ($5, drugstores) is on my fails list, it really knocked me for a loop. I don't have the same pathological hatred for the original Great Lash that most makeup addicts seem to have, and I was really quite impressed with Lots of Lashes (which I bequeathed to my getting-back-in-to-makeup mom). BIG was unusually liquidy and wet, and it did little for my lashes while taking ages to dry. No thanks.


And now for a rave. I hate to admit it, but I have to: I am madly in love with the GLAMGLOW Tingling and Exfoliating Mud Mask ($69, Sephora). It's not only expensive, it's also pretty potent--it contains a physical exfoliant and a lot of pore-sucking ingredients--so I only use it once a month, or right before a big event. But lordy-be, does it do wonders for my skin! It exfoliates and brightens, gets the gunk out of my pores and shrinks them down until I'm practically pore-less, zaps zits to near nothing-ness, and makes it all feel smooth and supple. I will definitely repurchase this baby whenever I have the chance, even if I have to pay the full $69 next time (clearly I was an awful person and bought a tester from eBay first...). But if you're going to try it for the first time, be sure to check the ingredients list for possible allergens and obtain the smaller $20 jar first.

No comments:

Post a Comment