Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lounge Day


Sometimes, there's nothing like spending the day off in your pajamas and under your sheets. But these days, I'm trying to be a bit more put together, an extra smidge of "ready to go." That's not to say there's anything wrong with pajama days--actually, I treasure them--but I feel like I get so much less done when I'm not up and moving before noon.

Obviously, I'm not going to start whipping out the skirts and red lipsticks on most of these new "put together days." I'm wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt that are a size too big for me; hence, extra-comfy. I made a homemade cappuccino (all hail the Aerolatte!). And I pulled my hair back, but in a loose, messy bun with two Goody Spin Pins and no hairspray.


It's funny: I've spent years hating my hair for being so baby-fine, mousey, and frizzy, and it took a little old lady at the grocery store to make me like it a bit more au natural. "Oooooh, do you have naturally curly hair?" she asked me as she put her milk on the belt. I was a little confused, because my hair was pulled back in a clip...but because I hadn't hairsprayed it, small curly, frizzy wisps were popping out all over. "That's how I could tell," she said. "I think it's just beautiful! I love hair like that."

You know what? So do I. I like that I have a crazy, out-of-control lion's mane for a mop. Why have I let the rude "you have ugly hair" comments get to me? So it's no hairspray for these days, just an easy bun and some easy clothing. And I'll gladly go to the store in it if I have to.


But even on a put together day, I can't get myself to make my bed. I keep to my old habits: my pajamas go in a pile on the bed, and my Kindle sits nearby, ready and waiting. Hey, I may be in jeans, but I can still slip under the covers and read for a bit!


It's hysterical: I'm a very clean, tidy person, but my bed is never made, and my desk is always covered in a variety of junk. Sometimes I clean it off and reorganize it, but I live at my desk most days. It's where I write, conduct job searches, prepare recipes and itineraries, pick what movie I want to watch, shop for new lipsticks...it's even where I put on my makeup. I want to have a vanity some day, when I have plenty of room, but for now, this is it.


I've also decided to start wearing makeup on some of my days off. Nothing too extreme, just enough to make me look a bit more alive if I DO end up having something important to do. Sheer foundation, sheer concealer, sheer blush, all of the sheer stuff! And I even wore brow powder (ie, matte eyeshadow) instead of brow pencil and clear gel, which is unheard of for me. Actually, I would wear red lipstick on these days, but the extra-lazy kind, like a NARS Matte Lip Pencil. Quick, easy, and bold without much work, and I don't have to worry about it smudging.


In other news, here's a good 75% of my current stash! I'm really proud of the reductions I've made, and I'm actually working on making a few more. I feel like the more unloved products I get rid of, the more I'm able to experiment and try new things. Right now I'm considering getting rid of just about all of my power highlighters. They're beautiful, but the only one I wear regularly is Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight; I'm far more likely to reach for a liquid or a cream. They work better on my skintype.

Also, I forgot to post the FOTD for my last Bad Outfit! So here it is now.


BASE: MAC Face & Body foundation in N1 + White, Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer in Sx02, ELF Complexion Perfection powder, Skindinavia Setting Spray

EYES: Too Faced Shadow Insurance, Maybelline The Falsies mascara, La Femme brow pencil in Taupe, Anastasia Clear Brow Gel, Urban Decay eyeshadows in X and Free Love

CHEEKS: Jane blush in Blushing Earth Sheer

LIPS: MAC liplipiner in Nightmoth, Lancome Rouge in Love lipstick in #391 (Fiery Attitude)

No comments:

Post a Comment