Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bad Outfit #7: Granny Shoes + NOMMAGE!

This lurvely picture was posted on MakeupAlley and really inspired me. Obviously, if I'd wanted to stay true to this look, I would've used JUST the Free Love eyeshadow across the lid and a glossy red lip, but it's inspiration, not copying, right? I also wore my "granny shoes" today: chunky-heeled lace-up booties. Not my usual style and not something I'd normally buy--I actually got them for a funeral--but I can't deny that they're comfortable as all get-out, and I wanted to give my Docs a rest. :)



TOP: thrifty find
SHORTS: Mossimo jean shorts (removed the belt it came with)
SHOES: Connie leather top slip-ons
EARRINGS: Jolliffe Jewelry



 BASE: MAC Face & Body foundation in N1 + Missha Perfect Cover BB cream in #13, Clinique Airbrush concealer in 001 Fair, Skindinavia setting spray
EYES: La Femme brow pencil in Taupe, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing mascara, Urban Decay eyeshadow in X, Urban Decay eyeshadow in Freelove, Wet n' Wild eyeshadow in Brulee, Jordana Fabu-liner in Black
CHEEKS: Kevyn Aucoin Celestial powder in Candlelight
LIPS: NYX Long lip pencil in Pinky, Sleek True Colour lipstick in Amped, C.O. Bigelow Rosebud Salve



I also made one of my all-time favorite breakfast-and-snack foods: banana bread! Mmmmm. Here's the recipe I use for my banana bread, with some potential modifications to suit your tastes. :)

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon (or to taste)
1 tablespoon of nutmeg (or to taste)
a pinch of salt
2 1/4 cups mashed overripe banana (roughly 6 bananas)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter

TOOLS:
3 bowls
2 loaf pans
spoon
oven

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 loaf pans.
2. Mash your bananas. Set aside for now.
2. In a seperate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add your eggs, mixing well, then slowly add your bananas. Mix until blended, but don't smooth out all of the banana chunks!
4. Pour the wet ingredients in to the dry. Blend until fully moistened.
5. Split the batter between the two loaf pans. Bake for 60 minutes or until a knife/toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean.

ADDITIONS/ALTERATIONS
1. These loaves come out a little "short." If you prefer a "regular-sized" loaf, pour all of the batter in to one loaf pan. You can also add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to make the loaves rise a bit more.
2. Walnuts are a truly awesome addition to banana bread! The only reason I didn't use any here is because we were all out. :(
3. You can make the recipe healthier by using 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour, substituting egg whites or Egg Beaters for whole eggs, etc.
4. I love spice, so I sometimes use less cinnamon and nutmeg and add a tablespoon of ground cloves, ginger, or allspice for more "bite." If you want the bread sweeter, try adding a dash of vanilla.
5. You can also use this recipe to make banana muffins! Bake for 24-28 minutes instead. I like to add dark chocolate chunks when I do this. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment